In addition to building for WINSCW (Symbian S60 Emulator) and GCCE (Symbian ARM target), Qt Creator also provides support for running and debugging Qt applications right on the Symbian S60 / Nokia device.
To debug/run Qt apps on Symbian S60 device:
- Setup the Qt for Symbian development environment properly.
- Install App TRK on your Nokia / Symbian S60 device.
- Run App TRK and if configure it as USB. (Qt Creator currently only supports USB)
- Connect your Nokia device to your computer. (make sure Nokia Ovi Suite / PC Suite is running)
- Configure Qt Creator project to build using GCCE.
- Configure Qt Creator project to run using "Symbian device".
- Run/Debug your app from Qt Creator!
You may get stuck with the message "Waiting for App TRK to start on COMxx" during Run/Debug from Qt Creator:
The cause is because Qt Creator up to version 1.3.1 doesn't work well with high port numbers. This should be resolved in Qt Creator 1.3.2, but in the meantime there is a workaround:
- Go to System -> Advanced Properties -> Device Manager.
- Expand Ports, and double-click your Nokia device to bring the Properties dialog.
- Click Port Settings tab. Click Advanced. And set the port to something to (COM1 to COM4 if possible).
- Click OK on all dialogs.
- Now disconnect and reconnect your Nokia/Symbian device. And you should be good to go.
To learn Symbian C++ development, I recommend Porting to the Symbian Platform: Open Mobile Development in C/C++ (Symbian Press).